Level: Novice/ Beginner/Intermediate
Access: unlimited forever, you can watch this workshop as many times as you want from anywhere in the world.
Course Duration: 2+ hrs
This course is a great resource to have an access to and it offers a wealth of information that is invaluable for developing your mosaic practice. Dive into this course and learn all the details from choosing the right tools to choosing the materials and cutting them with skill and precision.
This course will teach you:
- how to choose appropriate hammer and customize it for your use
- how to select a wood stump (log), drill a hole, and embed a hardie into it
- how to sit correctly in front of a hardie and how to hold a hammer
- you will learn about a variety of stones, stone hardness, cleavage, and what types of rocks and minerals are appropriate for cutting with the hammer and hardie
- how to work with marble starting with large pieces and breaking them to produce small tesserae
- how to precision cut the marble
- learn about smalti and how to cut both, Cut A and Cut B smalti sizes
- facet large pieces of smalti into beautifully textured pieces
- work with Dalle de Verre starting with the slab and breaking it into smaller pieces, then faceting the tessera
- cut other glass materials such as pre-manufactured tiles, nuggets, etc.
- cut glass rods
- cut stained glass strips
- cut low fire and high fire ceramics
- this course is about the material preparation and therefore we will not be making mosaics
- this course is a good prerequisite course to "Abstract Mosaics".